Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Multiculti Summertime

The similarity between Ghana and Russia is that both nations host children of me during a whole month this summer. Since both cultures are quite unknown to me it will result in a boot camp summer course and by the time they’ll be back I’d be able to tell you about a variety of topics from gari (Ghanaian dish) to KaZantip (Festival in the Ukraine) . Secondhand of course but still. If only…

Well, in one instance the car is already filled up with four broad shouldered (more or less) young men which leaves literally no room for me and in the other case I would also definitely be the proverbially fifth wheel. So it is out of the question to join them physically. Therefore it is great to have an imaginative mind and picture in my mind’s eye what they write and tell me.  It is a challenge for my presumed open mindedness, I realize. Next to a lot of monitoring of the respective local situations and being greedy for updates I will have to hunt a lot of bears on the road of my mind. But I do also envy them a little. What would be more helpful to tackle stereotypes than meeting the people after all? 

2 comments:

  1. Hope they have a great time and that you kill the bears before meeting them....x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat een leuk geschreven stukje mama! Blijf je graag updaten over ghana :) xxx hhvvj Tabitha

    ReplyDelete