Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pleasure toys

I tend to be so damn serious sometimes that when I observe myself I can only think “boooring”. Do I really feel my life is only a tour of duty? So much that it literally presses my head and shoulders down? Thankfully not all the time but often I need someone else to make me aware that it’s time to loosen up a little. Like today when I got a present.
I didn’t expect one and the image on the rectangular box didn’t give much away. A bit suspicious I opened the box in the meanwhile informed by the kind giver that there were already 4 batteries in the thing. “4 batteries?!” was all I could think. The giver went on with more enthusiasm, probably reading my expression, and explained how handy it would be and the fun she had from using hers. “With a thing that uses 4 batteries for a job that requires no effort when you’d do it manually?” my thoughts went on. She also brought a nicely smelling refill and I didn’t want to spoil her surprise totally so I filled the thing after we finally managed to open it. “Now I am supposed to use this because she’ll notice when I don’t. It has to be on display forever”, I thought depressed. She warned me that I’ll have to be careful though because sometimes the thing starts accidentally, spilling its liquid unwanted. “Great, so I’ll have to dab the liquid whole day long”, my nagging conscious thought. After all, in this life we are supposed to save energy, to save the environment and to save ourselves from unnecessary stress.

But, I’ve already used it a couple of times now in the few hours I own it and like all new toys it was fun using it. Even witnessing how it spilled its fluid accidentally felt like a challenge of how to prevent that as much as I can. And how funny would it be when my kids and guests will discover my new toy. Why did my mind not come up with that kind of thoughts right then when I got it? Well, at last I proudly present my automatic soap dispenser, a present from my mom. 

3 comments:

  1. I know the feeling being serious and all.... Nice toy though, did not expect anything else....x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God, you're writing again! :)
    I would like to reply with some words of wisdom I recently found:

    “Quitting my day job and starting my life as a writer was a tremendous risk, it was a fool’s leap, a shot in the dark. But anything of any value in our lives, whether that be a career, a work of art, a relationship, will all start with such a leap. And in order to be able to make it you have to put aside the fear of the failing and the desire of succeeding. You have to do these things completely purely, without fear or without desire. Because the things that we do without lust or result, are the purest actions that we shall ever take.” - Alan Moore

    Not that I'm suggesting you should (immediatley) quit your day job and become a writer ;) You've probably already made a big jump with starting your own business. But personnaly I would love to try and live a life without fear and desire; living with the innocence of a child, I guess. Because I, too, can be so bloody serious and it kills creativity.

    Hope all is well!
    Love,
    I.M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girls, thank you for your nice comments, I love you for cheering me on!

    ReplyDelete