Sunday, July 22, 2012

This Kiss


Last night I was watching a documentary of Icelandic people venting their opinion about the collapsing of the banking system back in 2008. The documentary maker says it shows the revolution of the people there who do no longer bow for the corruption of banks. Indeed, that is where it came to surface, I think, the crisis, followed by the eruption of the volcano with the terrific and unpronounceable name in 2010. Is it typical that I think that that was Mother Earth’s protest?
Hm. There is something else here. I cannot ignore that there is a resonant feeling deep down in me that says ‘hey, what did you say you were doing?’. Suddenly it dawned on me. I was watching a documentary about a dead serious topic ON A SATURDAY NIGHT!!!
Although I do really like serious topics, Saturday nights are by far the nights of having fun. In my opinion. At least of relaxing and let go, re-energize for the next week, that kind of stuff. Until I had met him of course. It was still relaxing and re-energizing with him, definitely, but also, uhm, how do I put this? Well he was the first who made me aware of the madness in the present global financial system. Oh, and many, many, other things as well. He is a walking encyclopedia. No, that does not do him justice, he just really knows a lot. I cannot say that this is what I like most about him because  he is also an enthusiastic kisser. And kissing is something I like even more than elaborating serious topics.
Is kissing not serious then? Cher sings very convincingly ‘if you wanna know if he loves you so, it’s in his kiss’. The kind of kissing we are talking about here are the subliminal, pivotal moments shared between a man and a woman (Faith Hill). Not the friendly pecks on the cheek. But neither necessarily French kissing.  Love and kisses are highly correlated and are being sung in an equally number of songs.
Kissing is also topic of science and not exclusively something psychological, it is also biological (evolution of kissing) and neurological (a true firework between neurons in the brain and the senses). But is it equally evaluated by men and women? Women do kiss because it tells them more about the relationship. To see where this is headed. Kissing is important to men, they enjoy it too, but they describe it more as a means to an end, they are more focused on what may come next (Sheril Kirshenbaum, author of "The Science of Kissing").
Contracts used to be signed with an "X" and then kissed to signify their legality. This is where signing a letter with "xxx" comes from (Ben Nadel). To me there is a significant difference in signing an e-mail or text message with one “X” or more than one (xx or xxx or even xxxx).
Without kissing a flirt is just a flirt and friendship remains platonically. A good kiss is the best medicine to make up a fight with your lover. That is why it is a shame that kissing subdues often when a relationship is lasting longer, beyond the falling in love stage. Couples’ therapy should include ‘the Art of Kissing’. After all a wedding ceremony ends with the magical words ‘now you may kiss the bride’.
Although I am definitely a woman I would like to say that I am focused on what may come next as well. So let us make a pledge. To meet in September. And seal it with a kiss (Bobby Vinton). 

No comments:

Post a Comment